This Policy was last reviewed and updated on: 4 July 2023
ACT Wildlife values and respects your privacy. ACT Wildlife is committed to protecting privacy, complying with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the Australian Privacy Principals (APP) and regulations.
What personal information do we collect?
Depending on the nature of our services, the personal information we collect about you may include:
- first name and last name;
- mailing or street address;
- date of birth;
- email address;
- phone number.
- partner’s name
Why do we collect it?
- to return wildlife to its original location
- to provide rescue service and advice
- to engage with our volunteers and carers
- to send certificates and updates
- to process donations and membership
- to spread awareness of our work
You have the option to interact with us anonymously or by using a pseudonym. However, if you choose t not to provide us with your personal information, we may not be able to provide you with our services, return wildlife to its original rescue location, or otherwise interact with you.
How do we collect your personal information?
We may collect your personal information directly from you when you:
- interact with us in person; over the phone or online;
- become a member;
- participate in surveys or questionnaires;
- attend a ACT Wildlife event;
- subscribe to our mailing list;
- apply for a position with us as an employee, contractor or volunteer.
How do we use your personal information?
We use personal information for many purposes in connection with our functions and activities, including the following purposes:
- provide you with information or services that you request from us;
- deliver to you a more personalised experience and service offering;
- improve the quality of the services we offer;
- internal administrative and communication purposes between carers, coordinators, rescuers and phone-operators
- marketing and research purposes.
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
We will not use personal information or disclose personal information to third parties without consent except when required by law.
With consent, or on behalf of animal welfare, we may need to share your personal information with the Fire Brigade, ACT Rangers, RSPCA, police and other animal welfare groups. ACT Wildlife are not responsible for any of their practices that might breach your privacy.
In accordance with this Policy, we may disclose your personal information to:
- our third party service providers (for example, our IT providers);
- our marketing providers;
- our professional services advisors.
- Like minded organisations advocating for wildlife
If you don’t want your personal information shared with another organisation, please let us know at the time the information is collected or any later time.
How do we protect your personal information?
ACT Wildlife will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information that we hold about you is kept confidential and secure, including by:
- having a robust physical security of our premises and databases / records;
- taking measures to restrict access to only personnel who need that personal information to effectively provide services to you;
- having technological measures in place (for example, anti-virus software, fire walls).
Our website uses Woo Commerce Analytics to help us better understand visitor traffic, so we can improve our services. Although this data is mostly anonymous, it is possible that under certain circumstances, we may connect it to you.
Retention of personal information
We will not keep your personal information for longer than we need to. In most cases, this means that we will only retain your personal information for the duration of your relationship with us. We will not keep your information if asked by you to remove it, unless we are required to retain your personal information to comply with applicable laws, for example record-keeping obligations.
How to access and correct your personal information
ACT Wildlife will endeavour to keep your personal information accurate, complete and up to date.
If you wish to make a request to access and / or correct the personal information we hold about you, you should make a request by contacting us and we will usually respond within 7 days. We will deal with such a request by following the procedure outlined below:
- confirm the request;
- update the personal information;
- advise the update has been made including the date.
Links to third party sites
ACT Wildlife website(s) may contain links to websites operated by third parties. If you access a third party website through our website(s), personal information may be collected by that third party website. We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third party provider or website and we are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of any third party provider or website. Third party providers / websites are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices and we encourage you to read their privacy policies.
Inquiries and complaints
For complaints about how ACT Wildlife handles, processes or manages your personal information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Note we may require proof of your identity and full details of your request before we can process your complaint.
Please allow up to 7 days for ACT Wildlife to respond to your complaint. It will not always be possible to resolve a complaint to everyone’s satisfaction. If you are not satisfied with ACT Wildlife’s response to a complaint, you have the right to contact the Office of Australian Information Commissioner (at www.oaic.gov.au/) to lodge a complaint.
How to contact us
If you have a question or concern in relation to our handling of your personal information or this Policy, you can contact us for assistance as follows:
0432 300 033
Attention: The Secretary
Address: PO Box 7237, Duffy, ACT 2611